Re: [CBQ] Burlington Railroad Bridge (more)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Burlington Railroad Bridge (more)
From: Michael Matalis <mmatalis@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:30:28 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240752542; bh=YWMuib5+3rQ6gcvpzxB0UR5dsGjb20WKxxOcdFaamVA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Mailer:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=gnk+1FncnNdrLyhqeBs3D+hVQMoN8XJnakXMbPyhyzxrxh62PTFec7x+avLZo27JSnXHH65DJyZIwkazaQLwMdhwo3SaGPzQhvsXBFgyMI+ccos5YQMVeLtH7e2nK/Uo
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
If any of you are interested in the trials and tribulations of
operating barge tows (an interesting name since they're actually
shoved) thru narrow bridges and tricky currents, you might want to
check out "Uncommon Carriers" by John McPhee.  It's a collection of
essays about transportation; tow boat operator, running a unit coal
train, independent truckers, and even how UPS sorts packages, all
written in a clear and lively style.   The section on tow boats covers
the Illinois River and specifically about trying to fit under the
former C&NW bridge at Pekin IL.  It's a darn good read, written by an
author with enough talent to make an article about drying paint
interesting.

Thank you kindly,

Michael Matalis
mmatalis@sprynet.com