[CBQ] Rockfalls Wayfreight

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Rockfalls Wayfreight
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:57:26 EDT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1239652677; bh=0rxeFzav9g/s8frvIxBBE82UYXxrOihZzGikiYKMH0A=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=K3I60/spF+1D7/fO25uZE0oalJ2DloxDvxp2qxr8y40vBKj9vehdLhxStRsnTuKCusaV2SLLUmlWlG5ohXi2KJM+mLozYemZxA81QrJMAgG/kGyMiRGt1nBfo3K75v6W
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Andy,

I never had the opportunity to work the Rock Falls or Sterling yard
engines, Karl has supplied the info you requested on those jobs.

The Rockfalls wayfreights that I worked in the 70s were typically 20-30
cars each way. There were a few "shorts" for West Brooklyn and Amboy of  ferts
or mtys for grain loading. The interchange trk. at Amboy
was pretty short and I recall picking up one or two cars of tires at a time
 for Goodyear in Rockfalls. I recall them being in IC box cars. The
wayfreights train was primarily scrap for the mill,and mtys for loading there.
Also cars for the feedmill and others in Rockfalls, The mill would load
nails,etc in box cars and wire fencing onto flat cars.

When the Sterling-Denrock job came off the Mendota-Rockfalls job got a lot
longer and started running into hog law problems getting over the road. We
started dog catching it from C&I pool crews. Remember boarding one 50 plus
car train at Amboy and taking it to the "new" yard at Rockfalls and then
taking  the outbound cars to Earlville where east cars were left on the east
end of the  "storage" for p/u and west cars at the west end of the passing
trk as I recall.  Only the local cars went on into Mendota.

Also remember getting a call on a Saturday night to DH to Earlville where
that days RF had died on the return trip. All we did is set out the
easts/wests  and take the balance to Mendota and then DH back to Aurora. I'm
pretty
sure the  Rockfalls job at that time was Mon-Sat. working Mendota to
Rockfalls and  return. For several decades before that the job was based at
Eola
and  worked to Rockfalls on Monday and Thurs. back to Eola on Tues and
Fridays. Made  an Earlville turn on Weds.

Leo Phillipp
**************Why pay full price? Check out this month's deals on the new
AOL Shopping. (http://shopping.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntinstor00000001)