[CBQ] Re: West Burlington Shop

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: West Burlington Shop
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:45:13 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1239468264; bh=aUsqUV7DT6vrQvrHyti/tm2eanvinJItQIngJXNBaSc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=HZw1R4OX6sWKTmXlSBWkmshw/zG2AoRUNft1UuPMLuFWIcO0/0KLvQbtzJSJe0MavVdydpQY1vRCR37rd88Fi5RaKE5k09gbuBpns2Udft/cS1kZzpJ1tDp2wWHkHEi7
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dave,

You are right that it depended on the time frame you are talking
about.  In later years, at least two of the through tracks were cut
off at the east end when a large Proseco Washer was installed for
cleaning truck frames. This was after the Q. Steam locomotives were
generally placed in the shop without their tenders. In fact, at one
time, I believe, there was a separate building for working on and
repairing tenders. Equipment , other than locomotives were also
repaired there, including gas-electric cars, steam wreckers and other
engine equipped rolling stock. I recall reading that they could
overhaul a four unit "F" consist in one week. In diesel days, the
north side of the shop was devoted to component overhaul. In steam
days, I believe the same area was the steam machine shop. The foundry
and boiler shops were in separate buildings. Of course, for the O-5s
and the 4001 built there, the boilers were ordered from Baldwin.

As far as the number of locomotives inside the shop, I agree that it
depended on the mix and the type of work being done. Ten to fifteen
locomotives at a time was probably common. Depending on the level of
repairs, some would spend less time than others and, of course, West
B would generally only be used for heavy repairs. Lighter repairs
were often done at some of the larger roundhouses such as Galesburg,
Lincoln or Cicero. In first half of the 20th century, Q also had a
heavy repair shop at Denver. At one time, Aurora and Havelock did
locomotive repair and construction. After 1900, the Q was very self
sufficient.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO