[CBQ] Re: Sterling Rock Falls Branch

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Sterling Rock Falls Branch
From: "Andy Roth" <darlaroth@insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:46:58 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1239468397; bh=zMQ5ka7vPNHaBbBodmmpn7/JIWQiD7V9n7aX/ng+LdA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Lu/HbbNTo0apcfxLB9NJzWNcj4Q1iJLjGbrsrr1X1D8zQBXViJ+aZhbA4xNbuqpuzT2W1NW8gc1SVm8NOZ2h3XxVlITI2d6jeABOhVzsHTV4o/vXb96Im3zl5L8kmPAe
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello,
Thank you for sharing your experiences on the Sterling/Rock Falls branch.  I
was wondering how many days a week did the road job work in the 1970s and early
80s?  I have seen a few photos of the switcher at Sterling with a note that the
40 foot boxcars coupled to it were for in-plant switching.  Can you share your
recollections about the Sterling switch job and the customes it served?  Was
there one or two shifts?  You mentioned that the job and one or two GPs or
SD7/9s.  How long was the road train on a typical day and what did it consist
of?  Was it mostly gons or scrap cars to the mill and outbound gons or boxcars
of finished products?  I assume the coal you mentioned was bound for the steel
mill, correct?  A former ICG man recalled interchanging boxcars of tires at
Amboy to the BN.  Do you recall the amouhnt of interchange with the IC/ICG at
Amboy?  Who did they go to? I looked at Terraserver USA and saw a spur to a
good sized grain elevator in Rock Falls.  Was this a regular customer?  The
yard on the east side of town and other cutomer spurs were also shown.  How did
the mill play off the C&NW and CB&Q/BN?  I would appreciate any information you
would share.
Sincerely,
Andy Roth