[CBQ] Peoria & Oquawka RR

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Peoria & Oquawka RR
From: "Ralph W. Brown, Jr." <cbq682@grics.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 17:28:44 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1238797758; bh=Tl6iXy+OA+KvL9dLK5qiSViw94jeMlJbS02ld4pb3tI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-POP-User:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:In-Reply-To:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=MHXrJt54FwpMzfXyerLZVjvss3visFwsJdItv2ngo+mi/irtu/GbR4ST3TA0dATF4n3kJcMfrvMNaey8gy3hCTKACBrFHVE0KtkKluUMeV9o3YSzU1EGfKc2xvPrNXX3
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
 Before its combination with the Chicago & Aurora, Central Military Tract, and
Northern Cross railroads to form the Chicago Burlington and Quincy, I believe
the P&O changed its name to the Peoria and Burlington.

If Oquawka had been more cooperative with the P&O, today we would have the
Oquawka Northern Santa Fe (ONSF) instead of the BNSF.

sjl

According to Overton's Burlington Route - A History of the Burlington Lines, in
early 1855 the Chicago & Aurora changed its name to "The Chicago, Burlington
and Quincy Railroad Company".  In July 1856, it merged with the Central
Military Tract changing the title again to "The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy
Rail Road Company".  In October 1862 the Peoria & Oquawka changed its name to
"Peoria & Burlington Rail Road Company".  Finally, on June 24, 1964 the P&B
merged with the CB&Q RRC to form the "Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad
Company", the final name change.

So it appears the C&A, CMT, and NC were already merged together several years
before the P&O changed its name to P&B.  Shall it also be noted that the line
between Galesburg and Burlington was already in operation before the line
between Peoria and Galesburg was completed.  Since the railroads seemed to be
in a hurry to get places connected and moving, I wonder if Oquawka really
mattered.  With the B&M in Iowa moving west from Burlington, it seemed to be
more logical than Oquawka.  I bet the city's fathers at the time were kicking
themselves.

R.W. Brown, Jr.
Galesburg, IL