[CBQ] Modelling LaGrange circa 1960

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Modelling LaGrange circa 1960
From: "pal_houston" <paulaleonard@tx.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 02:34:19 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1237430064; bh=fs9mRuBnWBm4fYO4k4YXsiMpdh454iSpV6ktlLAotZI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=B/MvKFYqmFlglXo+G2Ly70iiz/JwW6ZupMx1+WfB6XRnjG4CTuPcCWVLDtqyGBiKABm5SH6SSxTP6g5opuDFyw9TI0aL5qUDit9fjba1nZjiiuie6ARm6fUCdfMZ/ptu
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I am looking for some guidance on modelling colors and textures around
LaGrange in the late-50's and early-60's.  Specifically:

1. Ballast Color.  What was the color of the ballast in LaGrange? My
recollection is a dirty light-gray (granite?), kind of like the ballast
currently is around Ashland Ave and eastward toward LaGrange Road,
rather than the yucky browny color that shows up in Google Earth images
around Stone Ave.  Also, is it correct that the rail tops were at the
same level as the passenger platforms?

2. Passenger Crossing.  There was a crossing for passengers from the
eastbound side to the westbound side directly opposite Stone Ave.
station.  How wide was it?  Was it all wood?  Was it painted or stained,
and if so what color?

3. Passenger Fence.  There was a passenger fence to prevent crossing
from westbound to eastbound platforms except at the passenger crossing.
There still is a fence, but I am not sure it is the same one, is it?  I
recall it being a 4-feet (or so) tall chain link affair, with support
posts every 8 feet or so.  I think it was between tracks 1 and 2 (north
track and middle track).  What color was it?

4. Westbound passenger platform.  Was the westbound passenger platform
at Stone Ave. brick or asphalt?  What color was it?

5. Westbound passenger shelter.  Is the shelter on the westbound
platform across from Stone Ave. the same one now as it was then?    What
was the roofing material and color?  I am recalling a black asphalt
shingle, but the current image on Google Earth shows the roof to have a
similar brownish color to the main Stone Ave. station.

6. Safety striping.  Currently, both east and westbound platforms at
Stone Ave. appear to have a 3 foot wide safety stripes (clearly visible
on Google Earth).  I don't think this used to be the case.  I recall a
yellowish line that was probably 6-inches wide.  It may have been lines
of yellow bricks set into the otherwise brown brick platforms, but it
might've been painted.  What's right?  How far back from the edge of the
platform was the line?  I'm guessing 18- or 24- inches?.

7.  Lamp posts.  Currently there are lampposts about every 60 feet, on
the grass on both sides of the platform (They show up really nice as
shadows on Google Earth.)  I am thinking they were about 10 feet tall
fancy cast-iron affairs, and in the 1960's were illuminated with
incandescent bulbs.  Is that right?  What color were the lamp posts
painted?  Any photos showing details of the lamps back then.

8. Station sign.  By 1960 or so, Stone Ave. station had "LaGrange" signs
mounted on the east and west sides of the main station.  What colors
were the letters and backgrounds?  Were there similar signs on the ends
of the westbound passaenger shelter?  Were they the same colors and size
as the the signs on the main station?

9. Anything else.  What else can you add about the Stone Ave station
back then?   Baggage carts?  Passenger benches?  Bike racks?  Fire
hydrants?  Trees?  Shrubbery?  Grass?  Fencing?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Paul