[CBQ] Savanna Depot

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Savanna Depot
From: rgortowski@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 23:12:59 EST
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1235275990; bh=M9neRMs79uegDv+mHLTgUXBYL17GdMevxPcaLpk4XQQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=T3Q/1pwy/0kq4UzryfCRlyzYK9g8z2W0r6txVK1cm9IgSBr6GBNZ11OzHSI8nqwc87HrTbXs9qJPgsHGQL2np5AQajzaFBzE0nMCdBei3KcnZ2cCfFSs25Ec2kiWdYIi
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I've just started scratch-building the Savanna depot (thanks to the depot
print from Tim Fleck) and I have a few questions I need help with:

Does anyone have pictures of the road side of the depot?  Although I  am also
interested in pictures of the track side, I have nothing for the road  side.
I would be happy to reimburse for time/material for any pictures  anyone
might share.

Can some of the mature listers tell me anything about the inside of the
depot - particularly the waiting room and the ticket office.  Also, what  was
on
the second floor?   I have the data from the station print, but  I'm not sure
how accurate it is.  I'm modeling 1950, so I don't think  that the crew bunk
room had been enclosed yet (see the 1949 picture in the  Zephyr no. 55).

I visited the area the other day and found the remains of the footprint of
the station.  The bridge over the Mississippi was just as scary to drive  over
as it was back in 1932 when it was built - open mesh and barely two lanes
wide - nasty angle too!

Back in 1950, Savanna had six passenger trains stop in each  direction:  the
Morning and Afternoon Zephyrs, the Empire Builder, the  North Coast Limited,
the combined Blackhawk/Oriental Limited, and 45/52.   Busy depot!

Rich Gortowski

steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)