[CBQ] Ayers Switch

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Ayers Switch
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:22:40 EST
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1234826607; bh=EpAQn/MJ9CR2qFJBWcFel/SdtH1XVGu8rEoCu5SB/SA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=SZBMmyPdhhgfOp1Rc0X+mNkkegDXxOB1T41NKm1o2L7ycv4Gspz/x93bGwZEbBbo5hMis3UtYkhWyUpo61uykSPBTSTjbSjrf+kiavDmR3oFZTd4dETOF6JpagWGR4Y7
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In the mid 70's when word of the impending removal of the Milw line from
Savanna to Ayers came out and lacking much to do on one of those looooong
layovers at Savanna I walked the line from the yard xing to Ayers and back. Hey
 it
was a nice spring day, I got some exercise and studied the line before it was
gone. The track was gravel ballasted and in good shape but there was only the
 one Milw wayfreight to the Quad Cities each day. I recall finding a tower
foundation and some signal piping.
Once the line was removed the Milw local came off the their  mainline near
the double xing in Savanna and ran to Ebneron the BN.
See my old post about almost rear ending that job one foggy morning due to
lack of flagging protection.

Looking at a 1928 atlas the Milw line to the Quad cities on the east side  of
the river actually came off their Savanna main east of town at a point named
Ashdale and crossed the Q at Ebner. I suspect when this line was pulled the
line  from Savanna yard to Ayers was built with trackage rights from Ayers to
Ebner. A  local township road uses this old Milw right of way under the old Q
ROW east of  Plum river.

Leo Phillipp

**************You can't always choose whom you love, but you can choose how
to find them. Start with AOL Personals.