RE: [CBQ] Volunteering & changes

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Volunteering & changes
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:56:12 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bryan: No problem that you responded to the request for volunteers to the site
rather than just directly to Gene.  It's good everyone knows a volunteer
stepped forward.  Thanks!  I would hope your offer is accepted as currently too
few people are bearing far to many burdens, ESPECIALLY Dave Lotz.  It's a
recipe for burn-out plus the risk that if something happens to that 'one
person', then what?

I sure I speak for everyone who has been engaged in this 'string' that Gene
Tacey's responses were greatly appreciated. The job descriptions were great!  I
would just add/differ on a few points.

Silent Auction:  I have volunteered to conduct then at subsequent meets since
Dubuque where it was introduced.  As to whether it makes significant money for
BRHS is missing the big picture.  Meets are of paramount importance to any
group and given the economy, our declining membership AND declining attendance,
an extra 'attraction' gives value to someone sitting on the fence as to whether
they should attend.  Also, as I have mentioned over the yrs, there are only 2
or 3 mbrs who have tables of purely CB&Q material at our meets, me being one of
them.  Yet many of our members have Burlington models,
collectibles/railroadiana, books, china, etc.  Most may only have 1 or 2 items
they might consider selling but how?  Pay for a table and sit at it for several
hours?  Doesn't happen.  OR bring it to a silent auction for a very modest fee
& NO time wasted.  Benefit to our membership?  Certainly!  As CB&Q
material/models become a declining part of the content of our swap meets, we
would get a fresh supply of CB&Q stuff & 'keep it within the family'.  (could
also sell a few good items from an estate this way)

Hosting Meets:  Why aren't members forthcoming to host meets?  The question
should be addressed to those who have hosted meets in the past.  It would be
instructive to survey them & hear what they believe what might again encourage
such hosting in the future.

Electronics:  Everyone seems to be in agreement; make the Minutes & Annual
Report available to any member who chooses this option (the latter in full as
Rupert explained).  Only provide a printed Annual Report to those who request
same.

Burdens on BOD mbrs: We elect fine members with no idea as to what niches if
any they can fill (do they have the ability and willingness to put on meets,
create publications & calendars, do mailings, etc etc?)  Not that it be
necessary they do any of these BUT there are mbrs who can & will but whom are
not BOD mbrs & do not wish to be).  Many churches have faced this dilemma: who
on the Council can handle Property, Stewardship, Evangelism, etc?  You elect
'x' number of fine upstanding mbrs but none of them can fill those jobs.  The
solution: they in effect become Chairmen of a committee & recruit (or accept
volunteers) who have the expertise to do the jobs for those areas.  Indeed,
does a Bd of Dirs of any business 'do all the work'?  Rather they insure the
'hiring' of those who can but provide them direction.

Company Store:  Create a smaller version of same (a few ea of the back issues,
etc) that key members in areas where there are large RR shows could set-up on
behalf of BRHS (i.e. don't just restrict to a 3 table display in the LaGrange
area).  The mini-kits could be brought back & forth to our own meets as they
are given from one mbr to another or returned to the Society.

Gerald

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com