Fwd: Re: Fwd: [CBQ] GN and NP Diners Mpls/StP to Chicago

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Fwd: Re: Fwd: [CBQ] GN and NP Diners Mpls/StP to Chicago
From: Cy Svobodny <ctsvobodny@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 21:15:52 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

john goodman <jhgoodman2001@yahoo.com> wrote:  Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:05:04
-0800 (PST)
From: john goodman <jhgoodman2001@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [CBQ] GN and NP Diners Mpls/StP to Chicago
To: Cy Svobodny <ctsvobodny@yahoo.com>

Cy: Please forward this to your CBQ group. I was
part of a group who owned a Soo Line business car #48
and kept it in the Mpls CBQ coach yard from 1963 until
1968. I visited the yards several times a week to
check on our car. I became friends with the foreman
and most of the help in the yard. CBQ#48 Blackhawk
had two h/w diners (#172-176) that were the normal
diner-lounges on this train. Towards the late 1966
thru 1968 period these cars were replaced by two l/w
dome-lounge cars Silver Garden and Silver Patio.
These cars remained on the train until food service
was removed in late 1969 thru 1970. These cars were
the only food-liquor cars carried on the Blackhawk,
and no NP nor GN diners went beyond St. Paul thru to
Chicago. The CBQ food car was always on the rear
of the train leaving Mpls, so that the thru NP cars
off the Mainstreeter and the thru GN cars off the
Western Star had access to this CBQ food-liquor car
east of St. Paul. John Goodman