[CBQ] Q Hudsons

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Q Hudsons
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 17:45:03 +0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I now have 3 Q brass hudsons - an NKP standard S-4, Sunset standard S-4, and
NKP S-4a #4001.   In loking at these three models and BB #33, I have two
questions on the tenders.   The Sunset 4-6-4 has the notch on the tender where
the coal compartment was enlarged to increase coal capacity.   However, the
notch is behind the top of the coal slope.   Shouldn't it be even with the top
of the coal slope, meaning that I would need to cut a slightly longer notch
forward to match the coal slope?

The photos of #4001 in BB #33 show the tender topping out near the top of the
cab and the coal board section being much higher and with a larger slope at the
rear end.   Does anyone know of scale drawings of #4001's tender from which I
could model more accurate tender sides?   The only scale drawing in BB #33 is
of 3000-3011 when they were built in 1930.   #4001 was built in 1938 as a
streamlined engine, and the NKP model is of #4001 after the war and after the
streamlining was removed.   I am modeling the late 1940s and early 1950s, so
all three 4-6-4s are from that period with main Boxpox drivers - #4001 has a
rear spoked driver, which replaced the rear set of Boxpox drivers in the late
1940s, and also has a Mars light and ATC box with second generator, which I
believe indicates early 1950s.

Is there a BB for the streamlined hudsons or does BB #33 provide complete
coverage on these two engines, as it appears to?
- John Manion
  Denver, CO