Re: [CBQ] Shortened Ladders and removed roof walks

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Shortened Ladders and removed roof walks
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:47:09 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Speaking of shortened ladders and removed roof walks and over the tops.

I remember the first time I had to go over the top while the train was in
motion...

It was the first summer I worked as a brakeman here on the Lincoln Division
1956.
I was the head brakeman on No. 47 the Lincoln-Ravenna local.? We came into
Grand Island where the yard is some distance from the depot where the operator
had his office.

I don't recall whether we had anything to set out, but the OP came out with a
hoop and I picked it up as we went by the depot.? There was a message to pick
up 25 SD's on such and such a track at the yard....Well the first problem was I
didn't know what an SD (as it related to freight cars) was..I was the only
train crew member on the engine and of course neither the engi;neer or the
fireman knew what they were either.?

We pulled up to the yard tracks and eit;her the rear man or the conductor came
up and informed me that SD's referred to Single Deck Stock cars....YOU
DUMMY....implied, but not spoken.

WEll we tied into the 25 SD's, pulled them out and shoved back to couple to the
train.? I coupled up the air and started toward the head end.? Apparently the
rear man or the conductor gave a highball...it wasn't me and we started to
leave town..Well...said I to myself...Self...you better get on or you're going
to get left.

Well I got on about 20 cars back and had to walk over the tops to the
engine...I had not done this before and to say I was terror stricken would be
an understatment..I didn't get down on my hands and knees and crawl, but I
wanted to.

I'm still here, and glad for the experience, but I don't think that I've ever
been that scared around the railroad since.?? Of course in those days there was
little instruction as to how to do things like that...other than
thankfully....When You get on top to ride YOU GET IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CAR.

Probably a good idea they don't do it any more.

Pete