Re: [CBQ] South Dakota State Railroad Museum

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] South Dakota State Railroad Museum
From: Stephen Levine <sjl_prodigynet@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:19:11 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
There is a lot of interest in the cars.  They are the last three of the cars
comprising the 1936 Denver Zephyr to remain on US Soil.  As you may know, the
1936 DZ consists ran on the Denver Zephyr between 1936 and 1956, at which point
they were replaced by new equipment.   The equipment was then refurbished and
placed in Texas Zephyr service from the spring of 1957 until February of 1965.
The sets were then stored in the Q passenger yards for a number of years.

When one of the ex-DZ/TZ consists was purchased by a private party in 1969 or
so, he actually received a consist the rear half of which was from the 9906 set
and the front half from the 9907 set.  The rear half of the 9907 set and the
front half of the 9906 set were also coupled together and ended up in a Denver
scrap yard below the Speer Blvd viaduct.  I know for a fact that one car in the
set, towards the rear, was cut down to its frame.  One of the name plates from
your observation car, the Silver Streak, ended up posted behind the concession
counter at the Cherry Creek North Cinemas in Denver while the Gene Wilder movie
Silver Streak was playing.  My wife and I attended a showing there.  I also
observed a poster in the lobby of the 1936 Denver Zephyr entering Union Station
after its overnight run; it was captioned "Silver Streak Entering Chicago".
After seeing the name plate, I was sure the Silver Streak was history and was
surprised and
 pleased to learn some years ago that it and two other ex-DZ/TZ cars survived
in your town.

sjl