[CBQ] Re: Steam engine smoke box paint

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Steam engine smoke box paint
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:38:17 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1226425099; bh=ERCfqT0jQij3n//NgStWSD6PW1ndN1nPyoISCyvN548=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=cnxzZKZrvHSHt74q0MYA9S/CuqhsdMpNX/tQOESPvZyrAlMcxfLuf8OtmeljilvptMy+XZVHlyPdEVSgUX4Z/KmUpDmavSiPB0uEJ2E8AquJ6cZOEB4MiMGevR9coZqA
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In John Fischer's oral history (as told to Al Holck, Burlington
Bulletin No. 31, p. 38), the retired engine painter talks about
painting the smoke/fireboxes of Q steamers by simply mixing up
graphite with a little water and applying it with a sponge. That was
during the late 1920s-30s. The technology may have changed, since he
describes this as doing it "the hard way." But you can see where color
variation might be built in from the start.

More variation would be introduced over time. With wear, the color
probably darkened considerably, through dulling and integration of
soot (despite washings). And given that you have a lot of tiny
reflective particles, the overall appearance of these surfaces in
photos (like that of, ...oh dear, Greybacks) no doubt was also
affected by the sky, light, season, time of day, etc.

Toward the end of the steam era, when steam engines were regarded as
more historical curiosities and PR draws, some railroads, including
the Q, began painting their surviving steamers with silver smokeboxes.

As for models, I dunno. The ones I've seen by CIL and others look
pretty good to me, at least for an engine just out of the shops. Of
course you can still weather that down, and maybe will want to, but
seems like a decent starting point (imho).

Happy modeling,
Jonathan