[CBQ] C&S and Salt Creek, Pueblo, CO

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] C&S and Salt Creek, Pueblo, CO
From: "Alan Hegler" <alanwh@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:26:02 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1225149966; bh=KgOvsZzOUv+xmDFLHuyYpYder3WhmTS+KyqE6YeT8co=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=pyOxzrxVvt7Q3729vimfWzAbl0hlHZ864Dnye4o2vRVUEWV+pBdqVNtszaqkom8PzZF6bKktHdgZ0AZUAZ61SxYxHpuq3uwzCV0Y28qsXq2kpwI563ENQgj5NRGWLMlM
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Russ Strodtz" <borneo@...> wrote:

> The "New Line" runs from Salt Creek Jct to Southern
> Jct. The "Old Line" handles C&W yard work. While the
> change was made to suit the grade it only now matters
> with the coal via the yard at Commanche Power Plant at Minnequa.

Thanks for this info, still interested in the date of the 'New Line'.
I must disagree with you about the Commanche Power Plant being at Minnequa.  It
is many
miles away from Minnequa, more likely to say St Charles Mesa.  Minnequa is west
& north
of the CF&I plant.  Bessemer west of the CF&I.

> Southbound Denver - LaJunta - Boise City - Amarillo
> is all the other loads. All empties go via Amarillo - Trinidad - Denver.
> East crews change at LaJunta only,
> West crews at Trinidad only.

Good to learn of current practices, and makes sense.  Ties (for me) into a
proposed move
of freight railways to 'way' east of the Denver-Co.Springs-Pueblo route.

> CF&I slag dump? No longer actually make steel. Just
> melt scrap so slag is not a former big deal. CF&I now
> owns the place in Portland OR. Broke out with the
> Union Company. Much of what is now made is rail.

Born and raised at Pueblo, that west slope of Salt Creek will always be called
the slag
dump, even though new steel is not made there anymore.

Thanks for good info..

Alan