[CBQ] Hannibal & St. Joe Farewell

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Hannibal & St. Joe Farewell
From: "John Lewis" <CBQJohn@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:43:54 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Way back in the day, the Hannibal and St. Joe railroad entered the town of
Palmyra, Missouri from the south; the main line paralleled main street and
curved towards the 'junction' with the Palmyra and Quincy railroad.  As we all
know, the H&ST.J and the P&Q became a part of our beloved Burlington Route.

If my memory serves me correctly, and it usually doesn't, the main line from
Hannibal to Palmyra (via Withers Mill) was severed in the the late fifties.
Trains from Hannibal could access the Palmyra main in the Mark Bottoms after
that.  The old main continued in service, with the Robey-Robinson/Great Central
Lumber Company, Farmers Co-Op and the Mississippi Valley Chemical Company
providing the majority of the carloads.  John Jacobs and myself were fortunate
to have been the recipients of many a cab ride when a local switched Main
Street.  In the past couple of years, BNSF has ended service to Main Street
here in Palmyra, choosing instead to drop cars at the location of the former
Palmyra Depot (which was demolished in 1990).

I was informed today that the bridge that carried the tracks over West Line
Street has been removed ... I checked it out tonight and it is gone.

Sad thing about all of this is that I don't have a single picture of the bridge
or a train on it.

Regards,
John Lewis
Palmyra, Missouri