Re: [CBQ] Amtrak on the C&I

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Amtrak on the C&I
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:03:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
There are a wide variety of detours happening.  Not sure which train
is going via Hinckley.  The Empire Builder is going on the BNSF and
will likely continue for a week.  The Texas Eagle was also rerouted
(though obviously, in a different direction).  I understand that
Otumwa is going to be making a levee that cuts across the BNSF main -
and the CZ will be annulled for an indeterminate time.  Basically, if
you're seeing something that "shouldn't" be there, it is likely due
to the huge numbers of detours and inundated mains in Iowa and
Wisconsin specifically, and the whole Midwest generally.  Notice that
the saturated areas of Wisconsin were seeing rain at an inch an hour
and that went on for hours - at least 5+" more on saturated ground.

They are forecasting record levels on all rivers, and the Mississippi
may exceed the 500 year flood of 1993.  At St. Louis, the river is at
it's second highest it has been in recorded history.  9 rivers in
Iowa are above record levels.  In other words, this is not a short term issue.