Re: [CBQ] Oval structures atop 1936 Denver and Twin Cities Zephyrs

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Oval structures atop 1936 Denver and Twin Cities Zephyrs
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 17:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Of note is that the inverted bowls are open to the rear.  Could they have been
an exit vent to force airflow through the cars?  If so, it probably did not
work as well as intended because it was not even duplicated on the final
sleepers added to the DZ consist, let alone other railroad cars.

  sjl
"Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net> wrote:
          There were also vents below.

At the time the trains were retired, I believe the "bowls" were still there.

sjl

mpforever42 <alanwh@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
SJL,

Those 'inverted bowls' are covering the vents, later left exposed. I suppose
that at the
time of their construction, CB&Q and EGB believed that was needed. (possibly to
keep
snow out of the cars?)

AWH

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@...> wrote:

> What are the oval inverted bowl like structures on each side of the roof on
> the 1936
Denver and Twin Cities Zephyrs? I first noticed them when I was a toddler
boarding the
DZ in Chicago in the early 50's and have wondered about them ever since for
more than
50 years. They were not on the all room sleepers added to the DZ in 1939.