Re: [CBQ] Thinking about F Units -- Grayback vs. Bloody Nose vs. Faded

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Thinking about F Units -- Grayback vs. Bloody Nose vs. Faded
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:13:02 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The CB&Q only had Two (2) paint schemes on their F Units:

Freight  (Grayback)   Immitation Aluminum (Dupont off-white or gray color) with
red stripes and black edging
Passenger (CZ F3s 9960-2ABC only) Silver with Black Nose Stripes and Grilles
Varney, Athearn and other
model companies got this wrong on the Freight Units because they saw the name
of the paint "Immitation Aluminum".   It is not,
and never was, anything like metalic Silver in color.   Only the Passenger
Paint Scheme is Silver.

There is no "Bloody Nose" scheme.   This term refers to Southern Pacific units.
  After 1959 Q Passenger E Units
received Red Nose Stripes and Grilles instead of the Black ones and AFAIK these
did not have a name per se.
I don't think we need to invent one at this late date.

The Freight scheme weathered with the Red of the stipes exposing some of the
Black which formed the edging underneath.
This is not a separate paint scheme.

The only variation on F Units that I've seen is the mixing of the lighter and
darker shades of Immitation Aluminum (I believe that
sometime during late F3 produciton to the delivery of the F5 units a darker
batch of paint was used; there is a picture of a F3A
passing a fan trip in Aurora that had received new side panels that were a
different shade of off-white or gray than the rest of the
unit).   I recall seeing one of the ex-passenger units that had been repainted,
still inside West Burlington Shops, during the 5632
"Birthday" fan trip, and it was Kelvinator Refrigerator White (c.1964 IIRC).

Charlie Vlk

  On the subject of F Unites, and their various paint schemes, specifically,
the F-3's and F-7's.

  I'll bet this has come up before, but I just can't work this out in my head,
simply put; what's the difference between a Gray-back, Faded and a Bloody Nose?
I know of at least five different paint schemes used by the CB&Q on their
diesel motive power during the Transition Era.

  To red stripe or not.

  Modeling based on Microscale Decal blueprints (87-90 Burlington F Unit Cabs),
only confused me more. They show a silver Bloody Nose A-B with the big red
stripe across the port-holes, but I've never seen a commercial version produced
like that or any pics from back-in-the-day, to support this scheme.

  Even Walther's, seems to not have this sorted out --sometimes using the
various names interchangeably.

  Love ta hear from someone who was actually there! Engineers, firemen,
brakemen and the like.

  .