[CBQ] Thinking about F Units -- Grayback vs. Bloody Nose vs. Faded

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Thinking about F Units -- Grayback vs. Bloody Nose vs. Faded
From: Frankensteam <earlraysa@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 08:59:49 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
On the subject of F Unites, and their various paint schemes, specifically, the
F-3's and F-7's.

  I'll bet this has come up before, but I just can't work this out in my head,
simply put; what's the difference between a Gray-back, Faded and a Bloody Nose?
I know of at least five different paint schemes used by the CB&Q on their
diesel motive power during the Transition Era.

  To red stripe or not.

  Modeling based on Microscale Decal blueprints (87-90 Burlington F Unit Cabs),
only confused me more. They show a silver Bloody Nose A-B with the big red
stripe across the port-holes, but I've never seen a commercial version produced
like that or any pics from back-in-the-day, to support this scheme.

  Even Walther's, seems to not have this sorted out --sometimes using the
various names interchangeably.

  Love ta hear from someone who was actually there! Engineers, firemen,
brakemen and the like.