RE: [CBQ] Yagan Pit on the Aurora -Streator branch

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Yagan Pit on the Aurora -Streator branch
From: GLEN HAUG <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:47:46 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dave:

I was finally able to check the BNSF R/W map, and I was disappointed to see
that all of the trackage, including the siding, had been erased.  All of the
R/W lines are still there, but that is probably not what he is looking for.

Glen Haug

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.comFrom: Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.netDate: Sun, 9 Mar 2008
19:41:42 -0400Subject: [CBQ] Yagan Pit on the Aurora -Streator branch

Hi All!I?m passing on a question for someone who is not on the list. I
needinformation on Yagan Pit on the Aurora -Streator branch (where he lives).
Doyou know of anyone who might be at Oregon in April who might have some
info.Yagan is a rather large gravel pit area, and he is wondering what type of
atrackage arrangement might have been there in it's prime? He knows thatthere
was a siding there, but was there trackage in the pit? The timetableshows a Q
siding capacity of something like 57 cars, but a total capacity ofover 80 cars
for the site. Aerial views aren't much help as the pit area isnow somewhat of a
private resort area. He hiked the track last year, butsays it is difficult to
even see where the siding was. Yagan Pit (Yagan onthe timetable, not Yaegan as
many people spell it) apparently did not existuntil sometime AFTER 1922. The
land was owned by Yale and Regan, so I haveconcluded that the combined names
became YAGAN as in YAle and reGAN. This,was at one time, a fairly large river
gravel operation, and there have beensome nasty derailments there. Has there
ever been any articles on Yagan inany Bulletins? Conkey Sand and Gravel,
adjoining on the west side of theproperty was in operation in 1922.Thanks for
any help that can be provided.Dave LotzPooler, GA[Non-text portions of this
message have been removed]