[CBQ] London Mills Wreck

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] London Mills Wreck
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@nethtc.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:11:19 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
 Group I have created a new photo album in the group photos titled "London
Mills Wreck", which contains 9 photos that were posted to the M&StL list
with following notation. "I've scanned and posted ten vintage photographs of
a nasty derailment and wreck on a trestle from a hand-lettered envelope I
found stuffed into a copy of "Main Line of Mid-America" by Carton J.
Corliss; published by Creative Age Press in 1950. The book is a former
library copy and is stamped "Withdrawn" on the inside front cover.

Obviously, the book is about the Illinois Central ... however, the envelope
containing the old photos is labeled "Photos from Relative of Ivan Lewson --
Near London Mills, Ill. 1920s?" (hand written in pencil).

London Mills was on the M&StL's east end, wasn't it? I've looked at old
railroad maps and can't find any other railroad that would have been in the
vicinity of London Mills. Unfortunately, although the photos are pretty well
composed and preserved, I've blown them up as much as I can and there is not
a single legible reporting mark on any of the equipment. Also, the angles
don't really show the locomotive's wheel configuration. It could possibly be
a 2-8-0. One of the photos seems to show what appears to be cotton bales in
a ruptured boxcar. If that is so, would that be common lading for the M&StL?

Anyway, it's a mystery for the forum. Perhaps a steam-era Louie fan can
clear it up. Is this really the M&StL? Does anyone know about a wreck in the
1920s near London Mills? Where would this trestle have been located? "

I responsed with a brief history of the Fulton Co Narrow Gauge which crossed
the M&StL on the west side of London Mills. It crossed the Spoon river just
north of town, which I believe included a long trestle.

If any can offer any further information about the location, the wreck, the
equipment involved, I would appreciate it.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:14 PM