Re: [CBQ] Yards in Chicago

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Yards in Chicago
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:00:38 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
There was a Tower at Robie Street IIRC but I didn't know that the trackage
there was considered a "yard".... it is more or less the east end of Western
Avenue.
Robie Street is the former name of what is now Damen Avenue.   The Western
Avenue engine facility was at original grade on the north side of the yard and
there was a split in the mains where a track came down in the middle to allow
eastbound engine movements to Union Station to cross under the westbound
main without interrupting traffic.   I presume it may also have been used to
get power to Western Avenue yard before Clyde/Hawthorn/Morton Park Yard was
built, but I am not sure if that trackage was original with the track elevation
or added later.
Western Avenue Yard and especially the engine terminal seem to be very
undocumented.......   supposedly, there is a shot of a four wheel bobber NM2 on
a construction train building the flyover ("The National Park Line") bridge
down to the panhandle.   There are very few shots of the Suburban Engine Shed or
Roundhouse that I know of.
Charlie Vlk