[CBQ] Black 1960's Hoppers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Black 1960's Hoppers
From: "Paul K." <kozys@insightbb.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:54:30 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Greetings,

I was looking at the 5th Avenue Car Shops flyer recently and noticed a
statement there concerning the 'Q', 70 ton, 3-bay hopper car they're selling
which said:

"...In late '62 paint (red/white/black herald)    In 1962 the 'Q' felt the
Chinese Red paint on hoppers failed to weather well.  Car number 170623"

I hadn't heard this before so it brings up a couple questions I have, as my
layout will be set in 1969, a few months prior to the merger:

Is this statement accurate?  I'm just wondering what the 'back story' is on all
this.

At the date I'm modeling should there be a majority of the Chinese Red cars or
the Black cars?

Are there any photos anyone knows of that show the Chinese Red paint on the
hoppers 'failed to weather well', as Jim S. indicates in the flyer?

What type of brakes were used on these hoppers?

Thanks to all in advance for your help and comments!

--
"Paul (Kossart) - The CB&Q Guy"
 Peru, IL *USA*