Re: [SPAM][CBQ] Charles Stallcup

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [SPAM][CBQ] Charles Stallcup
From: "Archie" <kliner@mywdo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:03:44 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie was indeed a very colorful guy.  I was a young brakeman in 1966 and got
to work with Charlie quite a bit.  He had a unique way of letting the engineer
know when the waycar was on the main line after pulling out of a siding and
lining back the switch.  He would shout into the radio,"Main line, lay it on,
Leon."  I asked him onetime who Leon was, and he said it was just something he
made up.  We went to his 100th birthday party and he played his fiddle for us
and danced with all the ladies.  As many of you know,  if you are around the RR
industry any time at all, you are given a nick name and Charlie gave me mine,
"Buttercup"  Charlie was from the old school and never laid off, so when the
callboy marked him up on the Glory Train last month , he took the call and I
can almost hear him now saying "Main line, lay it on, Leon."  Rest in peace,
Charlie.          Archie