Re: [CBQ] Tender trucks

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Tender trucks
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:09:01 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert-

The Q, NP and GN liked the Baldwin Pedestal Tender Truck and used them on many
locos.
The only readily available HO models I know of are the ones that come on the
Bachmann Reading 280 trainset level engine (the regular coal tender version)
and there are several made in pot metal (Cape Line, etc..).  In N the old
Arnold Rapido USRA Heavy Pacific and Hudson had a decent vesion on the tender.
In O I am not sure who has them available but I've seen them on commercial
models.

The Type 102 Tender Truck was a 5'-6" wb 80m cap Pedestal Type Tender Truck.
This was used under tenders on G7, G8, G9, G9a, H1, H2, H3, H4, K1, K2, K4,
K10, P1, R1, and R3 classes.
An almost identical Type 103 Tender Truck was used on P2, P4, P5, P6 and P7a
classes.
Similar Type 104 was applied to D4a, D4b, G9a, K5, P5, R3, R4, R4a, S1 and S1a
tenders.
100m versions Type 112 were applied to T1 F2 and T2 classes.
The ultimate design were the 140m capacity versions applied to B1 tenders.
Similar looking Type 101 had a 5'-2" wb and was used on A2 class.
The diagram book I am working from is dated Aug 1, 1930.   Note that tenders
and trucks got swapped around so a specific loco at a point in time should
be your guide.   Some of the R locos also had tenders with archbar trucks.
The R1 and R2 were rebuilt early into Gs so I am not sure about them.

Charlie Vlk

  Rupert,
  The Corbin book lists that both the R-1 and R-2 had type 102 trucks. I
  really don't know what that means but teh few photos lok like that common Q
  tender truck.
  Pat Homan

  .