Re: [CBQ] Re: Street Running in Illinois

To: <CASTLEROMEO@SCHATTL.COM>,"Mike Schattl"<CASTLEROMEO@SCHATTL.COM>, <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Street Running in Illinois
From: "Ed Carroll" <ed.carroll@heartland.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:59:16 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In Ottawa the Sanborn maps show the big curve from the switch that
crossed the team track at Jefferson St. and ran in the street and across
the corner and along infront of a lumberyard and two other businesses to
reach a large produce distributor. The distributor's name escapes me,
but I have it in notes on all of these businesses somewhere.  The track
ended at the distributors at the embankment for the Illinois traction
line, former Chicago, Ottawa & Peoria Railway trackage the western
(West of the branches mainline) portion of which the Q used to run to
the pickle plant and on out to Ottawa and Standard Silica and into LOF.
The trackage for the pickle plant also ran into the streets on the west
side through what I knew as Weatherby Construction in the 1950s and
1960s. (This was also originally COP trackage.)

Edward V. Carroll
Professor of History
Heartland Community College
1500 W. Raab Road
Normal IL 61761

(309) 268-8582
FAX (309) 268-7991

>>> "Mike Schattl" <CASTLEROMEO@SCHATTL.COM> 01/03/08 4:20 PM >>>

> Could anyone please tell me if the Q did any street running/switching
anywhere in Illinois, whether it be Chicago or through downstate
villages' main or sidestreets? If so, are there any good visual sources
of what this looked like?
> Many thanks in advance,
> Steve Doyle
> Twin Cities

There's some "sorta street running" in Yorkville. The Ottawa branch
runs between a street and some downtown buildings in downtown Yorkville
IIRC. The line is very close to the street and the buildings. The line
is now the Illinois Railway.

Mike Schattl