[CBQ] 'Granger Country' - a few facts & a copy for sale

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] 'Granger Country' - a few facts & a copy for sale
From: "Gerald A. Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:14:56 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Didn't get all the Q 'stuff' you wanted for Christmas?
  Don't have "Granger Country" on your bookshelf?
     Well I can help on both accounts by offering an excellent
     condition 1st Edition to the best offer rcvd by Jan. 1.

Why buy a copy?  Published in 1949 by Little, Brown & Co. of Boston,
a mainstream publisher, it remains the ONLY social history of a RR
(another Burlington 1st!)

Authors (they call themselves Editors & Compilers) were Stanly
Pargellis, Librarian of the Newberry Library & Lloyd Lewis, editor of
the Newberry News & a prominent Chicago newspaperman & author as well.

The 2 men had full access to the Burlington archives @ the Newberry
AND full cooperation of CB&Q mgt.  In nearly 250 pages & with over
425 photos & prints, they illustrate & comment on what the Burlington
meant to 'grangers' & their families over the preceding century.

Learn how Doane College got its name, see a threshing machine
unloaded from a Q flat, the massive fueling station for WOOD at
Aurora, an 1891 playing card and track being laid on the CB&N.

Toward the end there is a documented journey of a farmwife taking a
Zephyr from Galesburg to Chicago for a day's shopping AND a 43 photo
feature entitled 'Behind the streamlines' showing Q emp's doing such
things as ironing linens, heading to dinner on a MOW train, mining
coal @ the Q's mine in Valier and filing waybills.  Yes, there are
photos of locos, frt & pass cars & depots but the strength of the
book is recreating what 'Burlington Country' was (for those of you
too young or not living in God's country!)

Best offer by Jan. 1 gets this excellent condition hardcopy (red &
black with silver Budd-like 'fluting' across the top).  I'll even
throw in a copy of the Q's promo to Emp's offering them the book for
$4 (bookstores sold it for $5).   Email me off-list with questions or
to get my phone # for a personal touch.  Season's Greetings!  Gerald