[CBQ] Re:Tsunami Sound Decoders for CB&Q Steam Locomotives

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Tsunami Sound Decoders for CB&Q Steam Locomotives
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:12:20 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Actually, there have been several recordings, commercially available, that ave
recordings of
CB&Q steam locomotives. These include, but are not limited to Mobile Fidelity's
"Sunday
Only" which covered 5632, 6315 and C&S 638, all in fantrip service. It has been
sold in
both LP format and CD (combined with another recording, "Whistling through
Dixie".
Howard Fogg had an LP album out called "All Steamed Up" which featured C&S
power in
the last years of regular service. Finally, there was an early group of four LP
albums called,
I believe, "Sound of Steam Locomotives" which included sounds of a number of
steam
locomotives on several western RRs including a variety of Q engines recorded in
Nebraska
and Colorado. I don't recall who recorded these alblums, but I remember that he
had an
elaborate portable recording system in his car. These last recordings were made
in the
early '50s, all in regular service. SofSL probably has some of the best
reproductions of Q
whistles.

Personally, I have a lot of reel to reel tape recordings of Q steam fantrips
that I made
during the late '50s and early '60s, but I no longer have a tape recorder to
play them back
on. I haave thought about buying an old tape recorder on E-Bay (there are many
available),
but haven't done so yet. The tapes have not been played in years and there may
not be
anything there at this late date. If there is, it would be nice to download
them as digital
files on my computer. BTW, some of those old LP recordings may be available on
E-Bay or
at RR swap meets.

Bill Barber

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, rawolter <rawolter@...> wrote:

>      Scott, I have installed 3 Tsunamis in three of my brass CB&Q locos.
> Heavy in the 4-
8-4 05, medium in the 2-8-2  01A, and light in the 0-8-0 F2.  I use NCE DCC.
The
whistle choices are good, and I finally went with what I thought they may have
sounded
like, since there doesn't seem to be any way to tell now how they sounded that
I know of.
If anyone knows of a recording available I sure would like to know about it.
>      To me the best thing about these decoders is not only the quality of the
> sound, but
the great number of sounds available to add to the realism of running a steam
loco.  Also,
if set up correctly using the appropriate CV's, you can simulate the loco's
sound under
various loads and running conditions as well as simulate realistic running,
such as starting
out or drifting to a stop.
>      A knowledgeable friend set mine up.  He has since written an excellent
> guide to
setting up the various CV's, and I have written a piece describing operating
with Tsunamis.
Both are to appear in the Feb. issue of the Dispatcher's Office, the quarterly
national
publication of the Operations Special Interest Group  (OPSIG).  Regards, Dick
Wolter