[CBQ] Re:C&S U30C Model

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:C&S U30C Model
From: Karl Rethwisch <qrailroadman@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:41:09 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John,

By all means model the C&S 891.  This "thing" was the
Blue Ribbon WORST ridin' locomotive(?) I've ever been
on.  I've run all the C&S U30's and have NEVER been
treated to a worse ride than that afforded by the 891
!!!!!!!!!!!

A Q Engineer was threatened with his job if he ever
left a work report (the good ol' days) like the one he
submitted for the 891.  I quote, "unfit for mainline
service" !!!!

Rumors were that the Q lifted this thing off its
trucks to try to discover the reason(s) for its
"unusual" ride qualities.  One trip, westward, over
the bridge at Oregon was enough to convince anyone
that this thing was truly unusual.  Our head Brakeman
lost his breath on one such memorable trip.

C&I Engineers limited their speed to 45 to 50 mph. if
this piece of junk was leading.  Dispatchers were able
to reach an agreement with Clyde RH the we couldn't -
- C&S 891 would NOT be in the lead out of Clyde Yd.
They couldn't get trains over the road with 891
leading.

U25, 28 and 30 B's were only slightly better.

891 made much better fence wire and nails than it did
a locomotive.

Karl