[CBQ] Re: NW-2 Paint Scheme

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: NW-2 Paint Scheme
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:01:06 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tim:

I agree with your observations - this is why photographic evidence is
so important. I believe some of these "odd" variations, such as solid
black frame, are the result of the Scotchlite peeling off. The one
apparent definitive I have of this is NW2 9247. In Al Holck's CB&Q
Volume 2 page 17 there is a photo of 9247 with the Scotchlite taken
8/20/1959. In Volume 1 page 56 there is a photo of 9247 with no
Scotchlite, but it does not have a full frame height red/yellow stripe
either. Looking carefully it appears most likely the Scotchlite
somehow either peeled off or was simply removed, then not replaced.
Both shots are from the same side, so I do not know if the other side
of the unit has the same striping.

I am trying to get around to going through my early BN annuals to find
additional color scheme photo evidence to show the definitive color
scheme switchers were in prior to the merger ("last scheme worn"). I
just have not not had time to get around to it. There was a great
article in one of the BN annuals on SW1's with a lot of former Q units
represented.

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Wells" <twells@...> wrote:

> As follow-up to Tom's narrative on NW-2 paint schemes, I have found
photos
> with more variations on the schemes outlined below.  The
"simplified" scheme
> (#6) usually had the Scotchlight reflector striping on the side
sill, but
> there is at least one with a solid white side sill and another solid
black
> side sill.  A recent eBay photo shows 9403B in Denver in the black
and grey
> scheme (#6), BUT with no side sill striping and no slogan on the hood
> (similar to what the C&S units look like).  I also notice that the
number
> fonts on the cab sides varied with this scheme from unit to unit.  I
have
> found photos for almost half the NW-2 roster at the end of the Q
era, and
> almost half of those photos show NW-2s in this late scheme (#6).
Was Q in