[CBQ] Re: Oregon, IL - Photo in new BN book

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Oregon, IL - Photo in new BN book
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:18:31 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jonathan:

The photo is actually AWESOME! It fills in several gaps of overall
layout of Oregon and the location of the cement(?) company storage
silo, loading tower, and elevator, also the location of the four grain
silos and elevator (far right corner of the photo). I have a photo
taken from the station platform in 1963 where you can see the grain
bins and the cement(?) facility. Unfortunately, a CP boxcar blocks the
base of the cement facility, so you could not tell there was a
concrete silo next to the loading facility. Your photo fills in a lot.

In the other photo I have from 1963 there appears to be a track that
may go right up next to grain elevators. Does anyone know if this is
the case? I can't seem to see it in Jonathan's photo.

The area where the grain silos stood is now heavily wooded, but the
foundations are still there, as is the base of the grain elevator.
What is left of the grain elevator base even still has the
manufacturer's builders tag, including model number, still intact and
very legible.

I did some "industrial archaeology" at Oregon about three years ago
and found the grain silo bases back in the trees, as well as what I
believe is the base for the cement(?) tower. It is awesome to see how
wide open the area actually was back then. In fact, perhaps we might
want to get permission to clear away some brush and take detailed
measurements of some of the old foundations, etc. at the spring meet
(I did not have tape measure, so I improvised with a marked stick that
I literally brought home with me and measured then calculated actual
dimensions - 6-1/2 stick lengths = 20ft, etc. Not totally accurate,
but close.)

If anyone else has similar photos they could post of Oregon or
information as to the use of the grain bins and cement(?) facility
that they could supply, I would really appreciate it. It also would be
cool to start gathering this information in advance of the Spring meet
in Oregon.

BTW, on another note, the Unimen facility has some really cool aerial
photos of the plant, including an early 60's photo. It would be great
if someone could make arrangements to potentially borrow or get a copy
of the plant photo (and perhaps others that exist at the plant) prior
to the Spring meet for display.

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH