Re: [CBQ] Illinois Coal Mines

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Illinois Coal Mines
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:31:27 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Per the 1905 Illinois Coal Report(the only one I have )((but I have worked in
them at the Library at Western Illinois in Macomb years ago))

Galva Coal    Wataga  68 ft Shaft mined 6,234 tons
GW Essex    Galesburg 106 ft Shaft Mined 5,000 tons
Rodell and Mitchell  Wataga 52 ft shaft mined 4,054 tons
Pendergast Bros.  Galesburg 100 ft shaft mined 3,600 tons
George Clifton  Oneida  45 ft Slope Mined 2,440 tons
Louis Modene & Sons Wataga 25 ft slope mined 2,146
6 of the top 10 mines in Knox County
The Q was the No. 3 coal hauler in the State with 2,521,752 tons moved
9,500 tons loaded in Knox Co alone
G&GE shows moving 8,620
Galesburg Pub Lib use to have Illinois Blue books shows some production but not
the details the Coal Reports show
Keystone Coal Buyers Manuals often show mines and have maps also(if you can
find them)  Uof I has them(urbana)
SJH

VERLIN WHITE <verlinwhite@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
 Hi,
   London Mills, Ellisville (Spoon River Coal Mine), Fiattt, Fairview, and
Cuba. Just to name a few.

 Steve Doyle <doylesteve19@yahoo.com> wrote:
           The conversation about coal mines along the Auroa-Galesburg route
sparked my interest. Does anyone know what the closest mines were to Galesburg
and how long did they exist?
 Any evidence left these days?
 Many thanks,
 Steve