[CBQ] Re: Zearing to Walnut IL

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Zearing to Walnut IL
From: "zephyr98072" <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 04:21:06 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mike:

I believe Zearing to Walnut was abandoned in 3 different stages.

The original IV&N ended just east of the depot at Walnut, constructed
in 1888.  The depot was at MP 59.98 and the switch was at MP 59.97
(also MP 25.60 on the Mendota-Denrock line).  In 1934, the switch at
Walnut Jct was installed in the Mendota line at MP 59.26 (MP 24.89
Mendota-Denrock) and the IV&N was either removed or converted to side
track between Walnut Jct and Walnut.

According to records I have seen, the portion between Walnut Jct and
MP 52.27 (west end of) Kasbeer was retired on 3/22/1940, and the
portion between Kasbeer and MP 44.11 Zearing was retired on
4/24/1954.  Subsequent retirements between Zearing and Streator were
after the 1970 merger.

Glen Haug