Re: [CBQ] Zearing IL

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Zearing IL
From: "Russ Strodtz" <borneo@19main.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:22:10 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The line between Kasbeer and Walnut was abandoned first,
then Kasbeer to Zearing. I'll come up with dates some day.
I'm fairly sure the segment from Zearing to Walnut was
built first. The connection to Mendota was built later.

The NYC roundhouse and turntable were within the Southwest
quadrant of what was in effect a wye. In order to use it
as a wye you would have to cross over both mains. Not really
that usable a setup.

Two cement plants at La Salle, Marquette and Alpha. For some
reason in 1959 they were using both CB&Q and ACL cars for
bulk loading. Can't imagine the ACL getting any benefit out
of this move. Since the "Q" had SHPX's leased for sand service
these may have also been leased.

Leo is correct on the yard engine move. Have block sheets from
West Eola showing an 0-6-0 going light to Ottawa. Must have
been a long trip. and hard on the kidneys and back. Think I
would have rather stood up than kept sitting for that long.

Russ