Re: [CBQ] u23c paint info sought

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] u23c paint info sought
From: lyle dowell <slyone@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 23:10:08 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John Trulson wrote:
> HI, I LOOKED THROUGH SOME 14 BOOKS IN MY COLLECTION BEFORE I FOUND A SUITABLE
> PHOTO AND I'M NOT SURE WHICH BOOK IT WAS IN. I have been custom painting for
> just over 30 years and I have never seen a locomotive yet from any railroad
> that had side stripes or color separations actually painted on the walkways.
> That would defeat having non-slip paint on them to begin with.
I agree with this, but am hoping to find proof.  Non-skid seemed to be a
matter of mixing sand into the paint so its easy to conclude that the
walkway was one color only. Why mix and mask two paints in this fashion.

>  I might be wrong on this, but I don't recall black noses on any early Q or
> BN engines. I think that idea came later and mostly on EMD engines with the
> longer noses. IF you want, I will go back through and find the photo again,
> not a big deal for me to do that. John
I would appreciate it if you would, and could let me know the source.  I
might have access to it if I don't have it personally. On a side note,
I've heard rumors that the '71 BN annual has an article on the paint
scheme in question. Its an issue I don't possess. Might be a place to
check first if you have it.

Thanks for the info'

Lyle

--