Re: [CBQ] 1976 American Freedom Train on the CB&Q

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 1976 American Freedom Train on the CB&Q
From: "Russ Strodtz" <borneo@19main.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:53:55 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie,

I do recall there was a great deal of to-do involved in
getting the 4449 to EMD and back again. I do not recall
where it came from but the train was not with it. For
that matter I have no idea why EMD wanted it.

During the mid 50's the CB&Q timetable had specified that
steam locomotives could not operate around the curve on
the North Wye track at LaGrange/Congress Park. That may
have been just for spite as the IHB no longer had any
steam power. While the NYC,MC,or Big4 may have run some
trains into Blue Island with steam these would not have
gone to the "Q".

Whatever the case the 4449 did use that track without
incident.

Russ