[CBQ] UPDATE - Walthers F7 Proto2000 with sound

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] UPDATE - Walthers F7 Proto2000 with sound
From: "trainboy.geo" <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:01:05 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have been in contact with Jerry Roy at Walthers regarding the update
on the "CORRECTED" Q F7's (grab irons mounted on the firemans side -
left side of the engine). I was told that Walthers expects delivery by
mid-Oct.

I purchased 2 of the Great Northern engines last week and they are
real beauties. The QSI sound system is FANTASTIC. I run only analog on
my layout and I am very impressed with the looks and the running gear
on these engines. Extremely smooth and quit. The QSI sound system is
exactly as I remember an F7 to sound like.

There is, however, one little problem. The magnetic read switch is
mounted too close to the speaker. When the engine moves over a Kadee
magnetic uncoupler the reed switch engages causing the engine to
reset.

When I brought this to Jerry's attention, he was unaware of the issue
and contacted QSI. His recommended fix is: "Remove the body shell and
locate the reed switch. ( its right above the PCB chip) and gently
lift it about 3/16 to a 1/4 inch."

I did this mod and tested my engines. This fixed the problem. QSI
needs to mount the reed switch closer to the front of the engine away
from the speaker. It really is a poor location anyway. Jerry does not
know if they can have this corrected in time for the next shipment of
F7's.

For those of you wanting a great looking F7 with sound or without, I
believe this is the best model to date. See the recent review in the
Oct issue of MR.

Regards,
Ray Bedard
San Jose CA