Re: [CBQ] Signals - Absolute vs Intermediate

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Signals - Absolute vs Intermediate
From: "GLEN HAUG" <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:00:38 -0700
Bcc:
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Absolute signals are the signals typically at the entrance to a control
point or interlocking, and they are identifiable by the absence of a number
plate.  When the aspect displayed by an absolute signal is "all RED", the
name and indication is "STOP before any part of train or engine passes the
signal".  Authority is required before proceeding.  Some absolute signals do
not govern movement over a switch or crossover, and these are sometimes
refered to as Holding Signals.  For example, there is a set of holding
signals at Princeton, between Aurora and Galesburg.

Intermediate signals are the other signals between the control points, and
are identified by a number plate, which does not need to be a milepost
designation, but is typically very close to the milepost designation.  For
many years on the CB&Q, an "all RED" aspect at an intermediate signal meant
"STOP AND PROCEED".  After stopping, you had to proceed at Restricted Speed
(which has a number of requirements but not exceeding 20 mph).  At some
point in time, I believe it was in the 50's, the Q changed this aspect to
"RESTRICTING".  You still had to run at Restricted Speed through the entire
block, but you did NOT have to stop at the signal (I think you were
technically in violation of the rules if you passed it at greater than 20
mph).  GN and NP did not allow "RESTRICTING" at intermediate signals except
in special cases like on ascending grades, and this was more conservative.
Sometime after the 1970 merger, but I believe it was not until the mid-70's,
BN changed the signal rule and no longer allowed "RESTRICTING" at
intermediates.

Glen Haug