Re: [CBQ] Signals on the CB&Q - Lines West

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Signals on the CB&Q - Lines West
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:18:41 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Can you define intermediate vs. absolute signals?  I believe I have some idea
about what the terms mean, but would like clarification.

  sjl

zephyr98072 <glenehaug@msn.com> wrote:
          A few days ago, Steven Levine asked in message 27375 about the types
of signals used by the CB&Q. I will try to answer his question to
the best of my knowledge. This information is mostly from notes I
have taken from reviewing dated photographs in books and other
sources. I will split this up into more than one message. Since
Steve's observations were from Lines West, I will start with Lines
West. Keep in mind that originally there were semaphores used in
many of the following locations, but I am talking about the timeframe
from when the semaphores were being replaced.

Between Lincoln and Denver, there were vertical 3 color light signals
(3CL) in use prior to CTC. These were used as intermediate signals
after CTC began to be used, and probably were re-spaced. Absolute
Signals at the CTC control points were all searchlights (SL's).
Virtually all of the intermediates were 3CL's (with a YELLOW top,
GREEN middle, RED bottom color orientation. The only exceptions I
know of where SL's were used as intermediates was on 2 main tracks
between Brick Yard and Gaines (at Hastings), between Maudru and
Wiggins, and west of Sand Creek.

Between Pacific Jct and Lincoln via Omaha, the only signals I have
seen in use after CTC were SL's, for control points and
intermediates. The freight main between Oreapolis and Ashland had no
signals prior to CTC, so it is fairly certain that SL's were the only
signals used, universally.

The Lincoln Terminal had a number of towers and control points, and
these signals all used SL's. One exception, I believe was between
Cushman and Cobb on the freight where there was a set of 3CL
intermediates.

The Ravenna line was a mixture of signals. This line was all ABS
except between Lincoln and Cushman. SL's were used between Lincoln
and Grand Island, including the UP interlocking. Between there and
just east of Ravenna, 3CL's were used.

The line between Napier and Table Rock was also ABS and
used "approach lit" SL's. There were no signals between Table Rock
and Lancaster, and then SL's were used at the UP interlocking and at
Hall Tower.

SL's were also universally used for the CTC from the east end of
Ravenna to Alliance, for CTC from Oxford Jct. to Orleans Jct. to
Flynn, in the terminal at Alliance, and for ABS at the Boysen tunnel,
and ABS between Belmont and Crawford.

There was a mixture of 2CL and 3CL signals between Guernsey and
Wendover, and 3CL's were used between Brookhurst and Casper.

That completes Lines West, as far as I can tell, except for the
isolated interlockings on many of the branch lines.

Glen Haug