Re: Nebraska Zephyr (was Re: [CBQ] Re: E-5a Silver ? on display south of

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Nebraska Zephyr (was Re: [CBQ] Re: E-5a Silver ? on display south of Dallas, TX?)
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:36:57 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
At least it was not as bad as it was in a wreck in 1947 when the train, running
as the Twin Cities Zephyr, hit a truck with, I believe, a caterpillar on it,
derailed, and crashed into a commuter station.  There apparently was extensive
damage to the cars at that time.

  sjl

cvlk@comcast.net wrote:
          IIRC it wasn't a collision as such.... the train was stopped on a
spring switch and reversed direction, jacknifing the set at an articulated
joint and the damage was caused between units with one of the two corners
getting the worst of the injury. It wasn't the side fluting but rather the end
sheets and structure of the car... it is rather simple to replace the side
fluting as they are secured to the framing with screwed clips concealed by
snap-in cover plates.
Charlie Vlk

From: "Rory Murchison" <murchi209@yahoo.com>
It was accidentally backed into some equipment on a siding. The
stainless steel fluting was damaged.

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@...> wrote:

> What happened to the Nebraska Zephyr that it is requiring repairs?
>
> sjl
>
> Aeolus3@... wrote:
> Sadly the only E-5 that was saved is Silver Pilot out at
IRM. I understand
> the Nebraska Zephyr set has been moved to the shop for repairs. Now
I didn't