RE: [CBQ] correct decals for SW7 and correct fonts for U30B

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] correct decals for SW7 and correct fonts for U30B
From: "Tim Wells" <twells@surfmk.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 00:22:51 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Based on my observations of photos, CB&Q SW 7 locomotives had a variety of
black and grey paint schemes going into the Burlington Northern merger of
1970.  By 1972, all of the units would have been renumbered into the BN
series.  All CB&Q switchers were black and grey, so I don't know what
"blackbird" refers to (one FW&D switcher was painted red and grey).

As to the differences between the decal sets, 87-609 covers the time era
when switchers were painted with the slogans "Everywhere West" and "Way of
the Zephyrs" on the hoods.  There are heralds in the set with gold
lettering, which I have only seen in photos from the early 1950s and before
and not on SW 7s.  All of the number fonts in the sets are obsolete since in
1972 engines still wearing CB&Q paint schemes would have BN style number
fonts.  Set 87-659 has the hood slogan "Burlington", which would be seen on
units repainted in the 1960s.

I looked over various sources of photos I have covering the 20 engine CB&Q
fleet and 10 of them have the "Burlington" hood slogans by the late 1960s, 2
have "Everywhere West/Way of the Zephyr" slogans into the BN era, and one
has no hood slogans (the C&S unit also has no hood slogans).  I'm missing 7
units as to their paint scheme into the BN era.  Other paint scheme
variations include the color of the hood end stripes, most are grey trimmed
with a red pin stripe, although two are the late 1960s variation of white.
The striping on the sill also varied, as a majority of the engines had white
chevrons (only in set 87-610), but many still had a red over yellow stripe
(contained in all three decal sets).  What surprises me, and I hope someone
can help verify, it appears some of the engines with chevrons also had pin
striping on top of the chevrons, some yellow over red, and others just
yellow.

The only engines in the photos I have with wagon wheel antennas into the BN
era was CB&Q 9262 (re# BN 128 - painted BN green by Nov 1970 and the antenna
removed) and C&S 154.  The photos suggest these antennas came off in the
late 1960s although the C&S unit had it at least until 1974, even after its
repainting in 1972.

I hope some one has an answer for your U30B number board question.  I see
that the MC-4129 "GE Style" number board numerals are not match. MC-4131
"EMD Square Style" appears to be a stand-in.

Tim Wells

215-362-4735

  _____