[CBQ] CFI Rails/Tie Date Nails

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CFI Rails/Tie Date Nails
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 14:34:05 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I would often look at the mfgr and date on rails while standing at switches
or waiting for a meet to inspect the other train. I was surprised by the # of
CFI rails on the C&I and elsewhere on the old Aurora Div. Must have had
something to do with regional pricing (very prevalent in the scrap
industry-scrap
steel in the west is cheaper than the east).Maybe the Q didn't  apply a
transportation cost to company material on line. Unlike most class ones  today.
Of course,as usual, this brought to mind another subject. Tie date nails. I
have a small collection gathered on site,again while standing at switches or
waiting for meets,etc. I did take the time to document where I pulled them
from  as I went along. Do you believe there were ties in trk 2 between Rochelle
and  Steward Jct in 1974 that had been installed during the early years of the
depression 40 years earlier ?
Better yet there were ties in the former mainlines at the River St "yard"  in
Aurora that dated to 1928. These were installed after the trk was downgraded
to industrial trk after the elevation project !
Locomotive Engineer Ray Ensminger had his start in the section at Streator,
IL during the depression and he often told the story of how just a few bad
ties would be replaced in a stretch of track so they all didn't wear out at the

same time 40 or 50 years later. His comment while shaking his head was " that
 every dxxx one of them needed to be replaced".

Leo

Leo