[CBQ] Austin Western

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Austin Western
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:27:56 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ok, it happened again one question,thought leads to another.

Austin Western was one of the earliest cases that I was aware of,where an
industry did its own switching.
Their little side rod engine was cute and did a nice job of moving
flats,loads of steel,scrap and coal around on the very old and light rail in
the
plant.
My question is what is the financial advantage of an industry using their
own engine ? Here's my understanding of tariff billing for switch charges and
maybe that's my downfall; The shipper/consignees frt bill covers line haul
charges along with pulling the car from shipper and spotting it at consignee.
So
unless you're a plant w/many "respots",which I understand are an additional
charge, what's the financial incentive to own/lease an engine and supply a
crew?

Obviously there's one as several companies are dedicated to just  plant
switching on a fee basis.
Anybody familiar enough with the subject to educate me?

Thanks,

Leo