Re: [CBQ] Re: Tracks through Aurora Illinois

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Tracks through Aurora Illinois
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:15:53 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
There has been an article turned in on the elevation only needs photos
The old alignment when thru the old yard where the METRA yard is now and along
the west or Right side of the present elevation(looking west toward Galesburg)
At one time there was a ramp between Clark and Benton Streets to the Elevation.
 Where the present abandon depot sits was a quarry  that was filled and the old
mainline went across the North Ave Bridge and split at South Aurora Tower right
at the west end of North Ave.  C&I north west  Mainline West  and the Alley
north.
The track on the west side of the Mainline often called the Old North Main was
just that.  There was a full wye from the Mainline to the C&I as the Fox River
Line was built from Streator thru Ottawa to Montgomery and north via the NIFA
(Northern Illinois Fair Assoc.) Branch thru Mooseheart and on to Geneva
Northern Illinois Fair Assoc was on the North side of the Illinois Tollway in
North Aurora and site of the first Aurora Airport and old Aurora Downs.
What is better then the Burlington Boxes is the Burlington Castles
SJH