Re: [SPAM] Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 3050

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 3050
From: "Archie" <kliner@mywdo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:45:46 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Pete,  Bob printed his own books and never kept a very large inventory, just
enough to cover a couple of RR shows like Galesburg and the BRHS meets.  His
son told me that all the books were gone, and that Bob's extensive collection
of TTs and depot pictures had been left to the University of Iowa.  Maybe we
will see them online someday like the John Vander Mass collection.  Sure hope
so.  On the subject of telegraph call letters for stations, each sub division
had their own set of calls and you would find duplicate call letters on the
Burlington but on different subs.  For instance, on the Old Monroe and Francis
sub the call for South Troy was RO and on the Hannibal and Burlington sub the
call for Montrose was also RO.  I have some employee TTs that evidently were
used by an operator at their station and he has penciled in several call
letters for areas he covered.  Just to list a few, Quincy was QD,  Hannibal was
X,  Louisiana was RD,  West Quincy was DS,  Palmyra was MY,  Monroe City was MO
and on another sub Old Monroe was also MO,  Brookfield, Mo. was B,  Hunnewell
was HU, Macon was DE.  Burlington was BN.  As you can see, some of the calls
were letters within the station name themselves, but sometimes there seemed to
be no rhyme or reason.  I think that there may have been some calls that
originated from past history such as the station Mark which was the junction of
the K Line and the Jo Line, It was called JO.  If anyone needs another call
from this area I have described, just ask and I will see if my ETTs cover it.
Regards,  Archie