[CBQ] Re: Early CB

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Early CB
From: Chuck <timken2626@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:06:53 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ken Martin wrote:
 > From the 1904 and later roster in Bernard Corbins "Steam Locmotives of
 > the Burlington Route" I find;
 > CB&Q
 > 72 Built at Q Aurora shops in 1878, reno 1072 - 1898, reno 213 - 1904,
 > retired 5-15.
 > 113 I can't find anything
 > 342 I can't find anything but did find
 > 343 Built at Q Aurora shops in 1879, reno 1343 - 1898, reno 559 - 1904,
 > no record of disposition.
 > 335 I can't find anything
 > Unfortunately I am not aware of any real roster before 1904.
 > I would bet they were all built in the Aurora shops in 1878-79.
 >  I find the class F engine interesting as I didn' know anything about it.

Thanks to Ken and Jan for responding.  This is not dissimilar to what
I have encountered regarding early NP locomotives  (before 1880, for
sure).  The information can be very hard to come by, often assembled
very piecemeal with  many gaps that may never be filled.

In the case of the NP, I think this is substantially because the
early engines purchased in the early 1870s were decimated by the
bankruptcy of  1873, when many were liquidated or maybe
repossessed.  For example, the Countess of Dufferin was acquired by
the CP and shipped by barge up the Red River.  It and the Minnetonka
are probably the only surviving NP locomotives from before 1880.

I was hoping some of the locos in the drawings might be from
mainstream makers such as Baldwin or Rhode Island.  But the fact that
all four pictures were in the same issue of the magazine, one was
clearly built at Aurora, another was probably built at Aurora, so I
think it is fair to surmise that all four were built there.  So much
for hoping I had stumbled across analogies of NP locomotives.

Thanks again for the help,

Chuck Soule

Transfer from your equities account.
Receive up to $1,000 from GFT. Click here to learn more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aZttyC/X_xQAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM