[CBQ] Re: Accurail Burlington Stock Car Kit In HO

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Accurail Burlington Stock Car Kit In HO
From: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@iowacentralrr.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:19:47 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Group
Model freight cars are a mixed bag. There are some extremely accurate
models, some completely bogus, and then some which make credible stand-ins.
Model Railroading attracts a variety of people. Some are modelers who desire
as accurate a model as possible; some are collectors who will purchase
anything painted/lettered for their favorite railroad regardless of
accuracy; some are operators who "need" a string of stockcars any stockcar
will do thank you; some are ... Well the list could go on. The point is that
manufactures try to cater to all aspects of the hobby, and do not always
meet the needs/desires of a given segment. We must determine, what if any
compromises we will make in our own attempts to model a railroad.

The Accurail stock car being discussed is an accurate model (In-Accurail is
not correct when it comes to the model in this case), based on Great
Northern stockcar series 55750-55849, 55850-56049, and 56050-56248. These
cars were rebuilt in 1955, 1956, and 1957 from USRA DS boxcars in the
23494-24993 series. The GN had a surplus of USRA DS boxcars, a wood boxcar
with steel ends. They needed stockcars, so they rebuilt the boxcars into
stockcars. Alas only the GN had this particular car. But as Accurail already
had molds for the USRA SS boxcar, they modified their mold to make the GN
stockcar. However to make enough money to cover the costs (and hopefully
profit), they also letter the stockcar for many other roads, thus creating
bogus paint schemes like the CB&Q car in question. Most manufactures to
this, giving us may bogus paint/lettering schemes, but also fulfilling the
wishes of some in the hobby.

The Athearn car is an incorrect model of a UP Class S-40-12 stockcar. Irv
got the roof wrong, it is mirror image of what it should be. He had a bad
habit of mis-reading blueprints. I believe the rest of the car is accurate
for that specific class of UP stockcar, thought the details, ie grab irons,
etc are a bit heavy for many modelers today. If you can live with the roof
being incorrect, it is an acceptable model.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Transfer from your equities account.
Receive up to $1,000 from GFT. Click here to learn more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aZttyC/X_xQAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM