RE: [CBQ] Accurail Burlington Stock Car Kit In HO

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Accurail Burlington Stock Car Kit In HO
From: "Ray Breyer" <rbreyer@cesinfo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:49:54 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

-----Original Message-----
>>From: Paul K.
>>Well after waiting many, many years for one of the manufacturers to come
>>out with one of these, I recently discovered this kit at my LHS the other
>>evening.
>>http://accurail.com/accurail/ART/4700/4723.JPG
>>I'm curious if it is accurate at all for a prototype, Burlington car.  If
>>so, which one and what year would it have been introduced and what era
>>would it have been used in?

Hi Paul,

The Accurail stock car is completely inaccurate for ANY Burlington stock
car. The one shown on the Accurail website is lettered as 52038. That number
belongs to the 52000-52149 SM-19 class of stock cars, 150 cars built at
Galesburg in 1937.

About the only thing "accurate" about this model for the Q is the roof and
door. EVERYTHING else is wrong. The underframe should be a straight sill;
the model has a fishbelly. The sides should have six panels; the model has
eight. The side braces should slope in the opposite direction of the model.
I have no idea what the model's ends look like, but they should be outside
braced.

>>Also, I seem to recall that Burlington stock cars I've seen photos of in
>>the past have the "Burlington Route" herald applied to the sides.  Wonder
>>why this one doesn't, or was it an exception.  Anyone know.

The car should have the "Burlington Route" herald on the right side, on a
separate tack board. It's not on the model.

The only accurate Q stock cars currently on the market are the ones made by
Sunshine. They're beautiful models, but are a tad pricey, challenging to
build and hard to find. Not a good combination if you need to build a fleet!

Ray Breyer

Transfer from your equities account.
Receive up to $1,000 from GFT. Click here to learn more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aZttyC/X_xQAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM