[CBQ] Aurora Step Off

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Aurora Step Off
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:24:25 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Amtrak would call for a helper Condr on #347 westbound as far as GT  when
they expected a heavy load of returning student to Western @ Macomb. So I
caught
this a few times off the Condrs extra list and you worked  west  collecting
tickets and then laid over in GT and deadheaded home next day on  #348. Pretty
cush assignment but a long boring layover and ride back at half  pay. So after
a couple of these,one trip I decided to go over to Seminary ST  tower upon
arriving at GT and see if there was a frt headed east so I could get  home and
sleep in my own bed(always a goal for a road trainman). Sure enough  there was
! So I hung around the tower awhile and when the eastbounder came by I  swung
aboard,introduced myself and was assured it would be no problem to slow  down
for the Aurora depot for me to "step off". I proceeded to go sound to sleep
(another skill developed by road trainman was to be able to sleep anywhere at
any time). I was awakened going by Lyon Metal from the signal bell on the
control stand and was politely dropped off on the platform at what seemed to be

a solid 20MPH at about 2 AM! I managed to stay upright and inspect the train
as  it past and provided a highball to the rear end as the w/c went by.

Leo
P.S. From then on I stayed when I caught the extra Condr job I stayed in  the
motel and rode #348 back the next day !
http://www.aol.com.

Transfer from your equities account.
Receive up to $1,000 from GFT. Click here to learn more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aZttyC/X_xQAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM